Say hello to the "Liger"
Moderator: Staff
Say hello to the "Liger"
“We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence",
"But we rather have those because we have acted rightly” Aristotle 384 B.C.-322 B.C
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut Invenirem ~
"But we rather have those because we have acted rightly” Aristotle 384 B.C.-322 B.C
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut Invenirem ~
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
I as unaware that ligers were illegal.
Last I heard, the Sierra Safari zoo in Reno still has ligers.
Last I heard, the Sierra Safari zoo in Reno still has ligers.
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
I never heard of a liger before
Doesn't seem like a natural thing to do...
Doesn't seem like a natural thing to do...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Lilim Savanant
- Lost Soul
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:16 pm
- Location: england
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
previously ligers have popped up in mixed large cat enclosures when the animals have of their own choice decided to have sex on their own, obviously until they started popping up people didn't even think that would happen.
the illegal part is intentionally breeding them. they're naturally infertile creatures and prone to any number of genetic and debilitating disorders because of their mixed heritage, so in this case they're being accused of intentionally putting the two cats together in cages with ligers in mind
the illegal part is intentionally breeding them. they're naturally infertile creatures and prone to any number of genetic and debilitating disorders because of their mixed heritage, so in this case they're being accused of intentionally putting the two cats together in cages with ligers in mind
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Though this may be true of ligers (I have not heard of such issues, however), I should point out a few thingsthey're naturally infertile creatures and prone to any number of genetic and debilitating disorders because of their mixed heritage
1. Mixed heritage is usually not an issue, even with animals, except for infertility. Even then there are fertile hybrid species. Mules, for example, are sterile due to an odd number of chromosomes (Horses have 64 chromosomes, donkeys have 62. This means that 32 + 31 = 63 chromosomes in mules). Hybrids with an odd number of chromosomes are usually sterile due to meiosis not proceeding (I won't bore anyone with a long lecture on meiosis and the checkpoints that shut it down unless someone really wants to hear it). This is why many hybrids are sterile, but others, like the beefalo (bison and domestic cow) are fertile (beefalo have 60 chromosomes, since both bison and cattle have 60 chromosomes, so the offspring get 30 from each parent). Odd number = usually sterile. Even number - usually fertile. I think the same is true for plants, but I teach mainly animal genetics, botany is one of two subtopics I don't know very well (A & P being the other). Plants can do a lot of things animals cannot - like double their chromosome number and become whole new species or varieties. Nearly all animal embryos with a double chromosome number are miscarried pretty early on.
2. Hybrids, depending on the gender of the species crossed, can be better than either of the parent species. Mules (male donkey, female horse), for example, are large and stronger than either horses or donkeys. Hinnies (female donkey, male horse), however, tend to be smaller and are not as strong. Why does gender matter? One theory is genetic imprinting, it's well known that parental imprinting of genetic material affects how offspring will eventually appear, because the genetic material is imprinted differently in males than females. Again, I can give a long lecture on genomic imprinting (we see it even in humans), but won't unless someone really wants to know. Same reason why Ligers are larger than Tiglons (both are hybrids of lions & tigers, but again genetic imprinting plays a role).
The real issue is animal conservation - Ligers are a evolutionary dead-end because of their infertility. When both tigers and lion populations being a concern (Tigers, I believe, are endangered. I don't know about lions), you don't want to waste critical reproduction producing infertile hybrids.
- Atla
- Urban Cowboy w/Guns
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:38 pm
- Location: In your panties you naughty girl!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.
~Atla the Impeccable!
You know, it's a human race. And you lost.
You know, it's a human race. And you lost.
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
It's much like a mule. However, they should've come up with a better name for the beastie. Liger is zany.
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
'Liger' and 'Tiglon' in Dutch are 'Lijger' and 'Teeuw'. That's even worse.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
It's name should be Bigpuss, or perhaps Hank. Not liger.
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Maybe Jezebel can give us the Latin name for the animal. It will be cooler than 'liger' so we might as well use it from now on then.
Panthera Ligris?
Panthera Ligris?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Fair enough. Angering Lions wouldn't be on my to do list if i ran a zoo :pHe said they tried to separate the animals but the lion 'got very angry'.
Tions!!!!!!!!
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
- Lady Maven
- Teacher
- Posts: 709
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
- Contact:
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
I have a friend who runs a beefalo ranch in Texas. If they were infertile he would be out of business pretty quick. I have mixed feelings about beefalo. I really don't like the idea of mixing anything with my buffalo meat. Though honestly buffalo is so lean it does benefit from more fat. But i rfer to add it and I want it to be pork fat.
ooooohhhh mix pigs with cattle. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beefy bacon.
ooooohhhh mix pigs with cattle. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beefy bacon.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Great. Now I'm hungry.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Mmmm designer animals you say
Well, cows = milk and beef...if we could have some eggs as well would suit me a treat 
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
Cows that give booze instead of milk would be cool. First you'd drink their booze, then you'd eat them. 
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
we'd just need to ensure there shit was designed to be the perfect fertilizer type "stuff" for growing of potatoes and we have our own steak, egg, chips and beer machine.
Fuck, all these people saying genetically modifying is bad
Fuck, all these people saying genetically modifying is bad
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
- Lady Maven
- Teacher
- Posts: 709
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
- Contact:
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
They also eat hay, convert them over to wheat and breed with chickens and with very little effort you have pancakes!!
Modifying is GOOD!!
Modifying is GOOD!!
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
We'll modify them so they shit pancake dough.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Lady Maven
- Teacher
- Posts: 709
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
- Contact:
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
We are RIDICULOUSLY awesome. We have cured "what's for breakfast" and global warming in one fell swoop.
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!
Re: Say hello to the "Liger"
yup.
Someone needs to learn the science for this and get working on it promptly.
Someone needs to learn the science for this and get working on it promptly.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Contactable on gtalk & msn via sshagent @ gmail . com
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest