Defining Rules and Tribunal

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Nagash » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am

Teanos wrote:Got to cut me some slack, I post during the day from my personal laptop on a internet connection tethered from my phone while I pretend to do real work. I just jot down what comes to mind.

Perhaps unethical discussions is a bit to vague, what I was going for there is trying to draw some line on what is or isn't allowed. I don't really want to have a forum that has 100 different rules and requires a parents signature to participate, but at the same time I think having the general "don't be an ass" rule really doesn't cut it anymore.

It necessary the Tribunal can come up with judgements which define unethical, so it's no problem. Just foreseeing that some people might try and circumvent the rule with semi-valid arguments :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Vox
Wayfarer
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Vox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Rules:

This is a PG-13 rated board system.

1.) No racism, pornogrophy, hacking/warez, or other unethical discussion or content.
2.) Extreme vulgarity and/or sexually explicit topics may be edited and/or removed at the Moderator's descretion.
3.) Topics involving religion and politics and other personal beliefs should be constructive in nature, if they turn hateful or vulgar they will be edited and/or removed at the Moderator's descretion.
4.) Have fun. If you are not able to post and have fun, then chances are anything you say/do will cause others to feel the same way.


Thats pretty much all I can think of. I don't think we need a ton of rules telling people what they can and can't say, we just need rules that help govern or shape the attitudes people come here and post with. If you are extremely vulgar or offensive, then you run the risk of being edited. If you are, Kaz has setup the Tribunal Forum to dispute those types of situations.

we just need rules that help govern or shape the attitudes people come here and post with
AMEN



What about spamming threads? I don't do it a lot and don't really have a problem with those that do except for threads like this one when you might be looking for info on the game and whatnot and have to scroll through lots of nonsense (no offense guys).

Personally i don't have a problem with people goofing off and having fun, i just don't think it should be in every thread. I'm sure we could put Naggy in charge of official spam threads
"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Nagash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:23 pm

This one does have an acceptable amount of nonsense in it though, IMO. The more.... suitable threads for nonsense are quite a bit fuller of it :)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Gerien » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:26 pm

You're full of it, Naggie. :mrgreen:

Actually, I agree with Vox that spam, while fun, can indeed strangle some of the more important threads. I was just thinking that reading the Game thread here a second ago.
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

User avatar
Kaz
Administrator
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
Contact:

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Kaz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 pm

I think we need to define what 'allowed' spam is, this place has started a little too much.

I'd say that it is important to come up with rules about thread jacking. The occassional off topic post if fine, but multiple replies to off topic posts need to be looked at

I have no problems with amusing banter, but there needs to be a line drawn.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures

User avatar
Vox Populi
Lost Soul
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:09 am

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Vox Populi » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 pm

I've stickied the thread's pertaining to the Game, Forums, Tribunal etc.


We can all cut the spam out in these threads.
Voice of the People

User avatar
Teanos
Within the Shadows
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
Contact:

Re: Ideas for rules / tribunal

Post by Teanos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 am

Someone should move the discussions on the game rules, board name, etc into one post, and then put the spam some place else.

Please.

:D
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

User avatar
Teanos
Within the Shadows
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
Contact:

Re: Defining Rules and Tribunal

Post by Teanos » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:31 am

I unstickied this as I think we have pretty much defined what rules we want, and what the tribunal will be used for.
If anyone has suggestions, they can still be made. Everything is still a work in progress.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

User avatar
Raknarak
Lost Soul
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:37 am
Location: The Boring Unknown

Re: Defining Rules and Tribunal

Post by Raknarak » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:42 am

I kind of liked the thought of the Tribunal forums being public, to read, anyway. I'm not sure about how easy it would be to do. My thoughts are that it could be kind of like a courtroom, we could see the "Accused's" appeal on being banned, and see what kind of defense they had, and see the judges thoughts and remarks, as well. If the poster actually wants back into the community that they basically turned their back on, they should be willing to show that they are sorry, and that they are willing to humble themselves for all to see.

Having said that, I also will readily admit that I have no clue what some people have been banned for. So, maybe I'm thinking of something that would be too large of a punishment for something that's only a small infraction? I do know that I wouldn't have a problem with people reading my own pleas, if I were the one facing the Tribunal. I made the mistake, I face the consequences. *Shrugs* As I said, though, maybe it's too harsh?
Do yOu Wonder who
Knows Any New or
unheard Tales By Homer?

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Defining Rules and Tribunal

Post by Immigrant » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:18 am

I think the Tribunals' are a novel idea and a chance at getting it right with moderation balancing what serves the community's best interests and obviously that of the mgt team with (not vs./against) what the community wants.

It may not be advisable to potentially go down the route of just making it a forum to judge or be judged, or for prosecuting a case and making people grovel or plead for clemency for example, like 're-admission' if they got themselves in trouble (even though that's what the name implies).

Might it be better to instead possibly retain it as a public forum for mature exchange of opposing views, where grievances (perceived or otherwise) can be aired and dealt with maturely, fairly and consistently for all, be they a person or admin?

Just saying..

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest