The Game
Moderators: Staff, Game Staff
Re: The Game
Btw - I like Imo's idea too 
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Re: The Game
i'm a fast pace game person lol which is why i've enjoyed valid more than guilds XDNagash wrote:Btw - I like Imo's idea too
The enemy of the enemy is my friend.
- Teanos
- Within the Shadows
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
- Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
- Contact:
Re: The Game
The problem with having a ton of games open at a time is the amount of people playing them. Trust me, I have no illusions that there are more then a handful of people interested in playing the game, nor do I expect some large influx of people to come back. That really isn't the point at this juncture. If people (like Dauthi) can find some joy again in spending an hour or two playing a kingdom, then cool. If this is the oppertunity that people needed to really step away and not play, then thats cool as well.
To address the concerns of this being "just another enight", in all honesty how can that ever be escaped? To be totally independent Kaz, Gili and I would have to write a game, the lore behind it, and a site from scratch. Honestly, thats not that hard to do, Kaz has about 3 games that fit that bill. The other side of that is we would have to recruit and sell it to people who are not you. Again, that really isn't the point.
The current idea is that Tempers Ball, as an online forum/community can continue to exist wherever it gets moved to. Kaz is still working that out. The boards will stay up, and Kaz has been told that evernight.com will be forwarded to whatever location he wants. People can always go there and post under the same circumstances you post there today, same rules, same everything. There just will not be a game attached to it.
The game portion of it, be it Canon, Monarchy or whatever you want to call it, is being moved here. We decided to go back old school and refer to it as Monarchy. The game that I'm working on right now will be the same as what you have played before, possibly some minor tweaks. It will be hosted here, at http://www.monarchygame.com/. Attached to it will be these boards, strictly for the Monarchy game. These boards will not be as...lawless (I guess) as the Tempers Ball forum has been, there will be some rules that Kaz, Gili and I feel strongly about in order to help keep the peace, and make this enjoyable for everyone - including us. The biggest change, this is a fresh start for people. You can help pick the name, design the rules, make this into a message forum that you want to visit on a daily basis and link your friends to.
That, is the point.
To address the concerns of this being "just another enight", in all honesty how can that ever be escaped? To be totally independent Kaz, Gili and I would have to write a game, the lore behind it, and a site from scratch. Honestly, thats not that hard to do, Kaz has about 3 games that fit that bill. The other side of that is we would have to recruit and sell it to people who are not you. Again, that really isn't the point.
The current idea is that Tempers Ball, as an online forum/community can continue to exist wherever it gets moved to. Kaz is still working that out. The boards will stay up, and Kaz has been told that evernight.com will be forwarded to whatever location he wants. People can always go there and post under the same circumstances you post there today, same rules, same everything. There just will not be a game attached to it.
The game portion of it, be it Canon, Monarchy or whatever you want to call it, is being moved here. We decided to go back old school and refer to it as Monarchy. The game that I'm working on right now will be the same as what you have played before, possibly some minor tweaks. It will be hosted here, at http://www.monarchygame.com/. Attached to it will be these boards, strictly for the Monarchy game. These boards will not be as...lawless (I guess) as the Tempers Ball forum has been, there will be some rules that Kaz, Gili and I feel strongly about in order to help keep the peace, and make this enjoyable for everyone - including us. The biggest change, this is a fresh start for people. You can help pick the name, design the rules, make this into a message forum that you want to visit on a daily basis and link your friends to.
That, is the point.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
- Teanos
- Within the Shadows
- Posts: 406
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
- Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
- Contact:
Re: The Game
As far as initital games go.
I think Guilds and Massacre are the way to go. Solo is a good idea in concept, but we've never been able to make it real 1 vs 1 vs 1 game. Massacre, you at least understand the concept and it doesn't seem to generate the...hostility of when you get hit by 2-3 people at a once as Solo seems to have.
I think Guilds and Massacre are the way to go. Solo is a good idea in concept, but we've never been able to make it real 1 vs 1 vs 1 game. Massacre, you at least understand the concept and it doesn't seem to generate the...hostility of when you get hit by 2-3 people at a once as Solo seems to have.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.
Re: The Game
Kewl, I like that 
I always liked Solo. It's just that some people couldn't get used to the idea that one might be hit when already at war.
*shrug*
I just accepted that as part of the game - kinda like everyone does/did in Massacre - and it was all good fun. All a matter of mindset, probably
I always liked Solo. It's just that some people couldn't get used to the idea that one might be hit when already at war.
*shrug*
I just accepted that as part of the game - kinda like everyone does/did in Massacre - and it was all good fun. All a matter of mindset, probably
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
- Kaz
- Administrator
- Posts: 2614
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
- Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
- Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
- Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
- Contact:
Re: The Game
I dont think massacre ever had the chance to develop the mindset in massacre. Probably to do with the fact that you could jump back it very quickly by loading a new save, mixed with the fact that 99% of people never actually logged in to a living kingdom
The other advantage to massacre over solo - in my opinion - is that massacre can be transported (with a fair but not unmanagable bit of work) into a facebook or myspace application. I think it's the most facebookable version of the game, and also the lure of guilded versions not available via facebook may pull people to register on the site.
The other advantage to massacre over solo - in my opinion - is that massacre can be transported (with a fair but not unmanagable bit of work) into a facebook or myspace application. I think it's the most facebookable version of the game, and also the lure of guilded versions not available via facebook may pull people to register on the site.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Re: The Game
facebook version needs to be some independent and fun, and also a great market to pull people here lol
The enemy of the enemy is my friend.
- Mickal Redwater
- Explorer
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 pm
- Location: Middle of the Desert
- Contact:
Re: The Game
I agree with starting just guilds and Massacre (maybe solo?) and go from there.
The idea of having old gods at some point (maybe switch by age or something) is great because of the RP ability
Most of us have been around for most of those gods, so weve all done something. Getting RP going again would be nice. Though never seems to succeed in spades.
The idea of having old gods at some point (maybe switch by age or something) is great because of the RP ability
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
FEL forever
Re: The Game
I might be able to persuade old Porckie to come back and give the RP another shot. And Kyhera maybe...
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
- Kaz
- Administrator
- Posts: 2614
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
- Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
- Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
- Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
- Contact:
Re: The Game
Ok, I have reached the next stage of my consolodation of the source code.
The following are instance options that are currently likely to be available in the final code.
Basic Settings
status (0. reset, 1. play, 2. test mode, 3. last standing on)
saga (the name of the current age)
maxturns (max turns on a kingdom)
npp (length of newplayer protection in turns)
turnsperhour (standard turns per hour)
tithepool (tithing option used (eg max tithed land and modifiers))
caravanfreq (frequency send caravan (note, need to make human skill % based))
Kingdom Start Settings
cash (start cash)
land (start land)
turnstart (turns kingdom starts with)
Module Settings
allies (enable alliances)
cansave (enable load / save)
guilds (change to hasguilds)
hasguilds (enable guilds and guild ranks)
hasquads (enable quad system and quad ranks)
listdecs (enable access to the kindom declarations screen)
hasbounty (enables the bounty screen (need to break this down further))
rankdb (enables the rank and war database)
scoutdb (enables the scout database)
treaties (not sure how this is different to allies)
kingdombanner (enable the realm banner)
Special Settings
afoolon (Used to give one time turn bonus)
changerace (able to change race during restart)
deleteallowed (able to delete kingdom)
enddate (automatically reset date)
gamestage (last standing function to increase turn rate as time passes)
highstartturns (used by massacre to ensure save does not effect start turns)
laststanding (enable last standing game behaviour)
maxsaveturns (maximum turns that can be saved in load / save)
preservebrt (reduces damage and loss of brt buildings (need to update for build loss through war))
showallranks (do not limit scrolls visibility)
uphitonly (prevents kingdoms attacking down by more than 10% land)
warall (attack kingdoms in own faith)
ugflag (turn the unguilded flag back on)
The following are instance options that are currently likely to be available in the final code.
Basic Settings
status (0. reset, 1. play, 2. test mode, 3. last standing on)
saga (the name of the current age)
maxturns (max turns on a kingdom)
npp (length of newplayer protection in turns)
turnsperhour (standard turns per hour)
tithepool (tithing option used (eg max tithed land and modifiers))
caravanfreq (frequency send caravan (note, need to make human skill % based))
Kingdom Start Settings
cash (start cash)
land (start land)
turnstart (turns kingdom starts with)
Module Settings
allies (enable alliances)
cansave (enable load / save)
guilds (change to hasguilds)
hasguilds (enable guilds and guild ranks)
hasquads (enable quad system and quad ranks)
listdecs (enable access to the kindom declarations screen)
hasbounty (enables the bounty screen (need to break this down further))
rankdb (enables the rank and war database)
scoutdb (enables the scout database)
treaties (not sure how this is different to allies)
kingdombanner (enable the realm banner)
Special Settings
afoolon (Used to give one time turn bonus)
changerace (able to change race during restart)
deleteallowed (able to delete kingdom)
enddate (automatically reset date)
gamestage (last standing function to increase turn rate as time passes)
highstartturns (used by massacre to ensure save does not effect start turns)
laststanding (enable last standing game behaviour)
maxsaveturns (maximum turns that can be saved in load / save)
preservebrt (reduces damage and loss of brt buildings (need to update for build loss through war))
showallranks (do not limit scrolls visibility)
uphitonly (prevents kingdoms attacking down by more than 10% land)
warall (attack kingdoms in own faith)
ugflag (turn the unguilded flag back on)
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Re: The Game
Solo is a good idea in concept, but we've never been able to make it real 1 vs 1 vs 1 game.
True, i had forgot about that part.
But it was sweet to get hit by two or three and still win. But it sucked when you won a hard fight only to have more come in at the end at take it or kill you
"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"
Re: The Game
if your going to eventually go into instances status should its be more like..status (0. reset, 1. play, 2. test mode, 3. last standing on)
0- ended
1- test mode/pregame setup
2- active free to join
3- Active closed to join(Last stand on) Faith restricted.
4. Active closed to join(last stand on) FFA
So that we eventually have only one winner.
Also, idea concept. Make this a land based game. I don't mean graphic based, but land based.
Ie, a game there is only X amount of land available. were X = (999*3)*20k (or it can varry for what ever you wish) Starting a realm takes up it takes 20k from that pool. If you restart it takes another 20k. Downsized land doesn't go back(cause once the land is salted its no good) Eventually you will get to a point were you can't restart anymore cause theres no land to restart on, then downsizing land to stay slim and fighting could be bad, almost as bad as hording land. It would also be a variable you could change for words. Ie some worlds you only have (999*3)*2k acres or what ever so that keeping land is even MORE important.
Re: The Game
If we have some folks seeking one on one warring, perhaps PvP might be resurrectable at some point.
As small as the current group is, it might not be too ugly to administrate.
One step at a time though =)
The Christmas game was a lark too, even if Nagash did eventually kill off my Snowman, the bastage!
As small as the current group is, it might not be too ugly to administrate.
One step at a time though =)
The Christmas game was a lark too, even if Nagash did eventually kill off my Snowman, the bastage!
The Golden Horde - All war all the time™
You know how this thing ends, right? They all die.
You know how this thing ends, right? They all die.
- Mickal Redwater
- Explorer
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 pm
- Location: Middle of the Desert
- Contact:
Re: The Game
Hmmm i think maybe its worth getting peoples opinions on the '1 time free turns' thing.
I don't like it. Dont get me wrong, its nice, and fun.. but it means that one guild can easily destroy an equal guild with twice the turns.
I don't really see a reason for it anymore. It had a reason the first time we had it, and i felt like we experimented with keeping it and it should be talked about.
I don't like it. Dont get me wrong, its nice, and fun.. but it means that one guild can easily destroy an equal guild with twice the turns.
I don't really see a reason for it anymore. It had a reason the first time we had it, and i felt like we experimented with keeping it and it should be talked about.
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
FEL forever
Re: The Game
Just a thought. For the guild game have it for that a new guild app is only approved when there is a new guild app in each faith. That way you get a new guild in each faith at the same time to keep things even.
Relentless as the sea, remorseless as death!
Ruby Knights-GM/founder Phoenix, WTFPWND, WeeC, Fervent, L33t, and a couple I sadly can't remember...
Ruby Knights-GM/founder Phoenix, WTFPWND, WeeC, Fervent, L33t, and a couple I sadly can't remember...
Re: The Game
Wretch wrote:If we have some folks seeking one on one warring, perhaps PvP might be resurrectable at some point.
As small as the current group is, it might not be too ugly to administrate.
One step at a time though =)
The Christmas game was a lark too, even if Nagash did eventually kill off my Snowman, the bastage!
One could ofcourse create a Solo in which some sort of serial PvP were to happen. Challenges can be issued, a PvP war is fought when it is accepted and new challenges can then be issued. Challenges can only be declined if the realms differ more than a certain % of networth (10%?), otherwise the war is on after a certain period of time (24 hours?).
Dunno, it could work
Christmas was cool indeed. Especially killing that Snowman (even if I got seriously fucked over after that ^_^)...
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
- Kaz
- Administrator
- Posts: 2614
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am
- Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia
- Tempers Ball Posts: 3873
- Tempers Ball/Braggarts Hall Alt: Kaz
- Contact:
Re: The Game
Those settings are just pulled from the game code after merging several codes with different options together. I'm not sure that I need to add a second LQS status. I was litterally updating you lot on the merge status.
The turns bonus option can be discussed, feel free to do so.
I am not reworking how land works, I have no wish to start rewriting massive parts of the code, just fix and tweak for now.
As for PvP. It's a game mode that I have always intended to introduce when I get around to it. It's a big job to make work though. I'll bear the solo idea in mind if/when i finally get around to it though
The turns bonus option can be discussed, feel free to do so.
I am not reworking how land works, I have no wish to start rewriting massive parts of the code, just fix and tweak for now.
As for PvP. It's a game mode that I have always intended to introduce when I get around to it. It's a big job to make work though. I'll bear the solo idea in mind if/when i finally get around to it though
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Wars of Tonan (Monarchy Inspired Miniatures)
Armatures for Sculpting Miniatures
Re: The Game
Cheers, both for the updates and for a good job! 
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest