Debates and Rants forum.

~ General comments and discussion.

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Teanos
Within the Shadows
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
Contact:

Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Teanos » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm

I think the suggestion of creating a forum that caters more towards the debating/political/religious threads and debates was worth enough time to go ahead and make a forum for it. Over the next day or so the moderators and Kaz/Gili/I will move the threads that exist here in Comments that fit that criteria over to that forum.

The idea is to try and keep Comments a little more on the lighter/friendly side of things, while allowing those who like a good arguement a place to do so where you are not bound by 'silly' rules, per se.

Please keep in mind its not a flame all/anything goes forum, there will be rules and we would hope that everyone can debate/post in a manner that is both reflective of being a curtious adult. Trolling and posting offensive material will be heavily moderated. Ditto for random non-related spam.

If you have any ideas for a forum name, or anything please comment here.

I'm still up in the air on if it should be a full blown forum, or possibly a sub-forum of Comments. If we go the subforum route, then technically the technical corner and creative ideas forum should also be subforums. Just something to think about.

Either way, let me know what you think.
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

User avatar
Gerien
Teacher
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: depends who hires me

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Gerien » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:06 pm

The Bullring
And I never even got my own damn posting title!

Immigrant
Explorer
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Immigrant » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:44 pm

locker room

Isildur
Wayfarer
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Isildur » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:17 am

No suggestion for a name, just don't really see the purpose.

At its biggest our community might have been close to having a good reason to separate it out... but at the current side I see just a few active threads in there with some getting gravedug often, and less activity in here as well because there's a few people like me looking for engaging discussion that will dabble in the more lighthearted threads when we see them, but wouldn't go looking for them.

Anyway, feel free to give it a try after I'll I just play here I don't claim to own the place...but thats my thoughts on it.

Especially since can anyone honestly claim that its all that hard to quickly click away from threads you don't want to play in of whatever sort?

Hector
Moderator
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:40 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Hector » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:37 am

We are trying to change the game and boards for the better. From previous feedback it is clear a problem past players had was how people were treated on the message boards. Instead of just blindly believing that past players were the problem, we are trying to be proactive and create a game and message board that will be welcoming to all. These boards and game were not just created to be a continuation of the past, they were created to give us a future.

Certain topics have a tendency to inflame people. When new players arrive I would rather those topics not be the majority of the posts on this board. I personally would rather they see posts about everyday topics that they feel welcome to post in. Where they are not intimidated to post or afraid that if they post that they are going to get attacked for having a different opinion than a more vocal member.

I believe that is the purpose.
My doom has come upon me; let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that shall be told among men hereafter.

User avatar
Teanos
Within the Shadows
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am
Location: The Chaotic Interludes of the Interwebs.
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Teanos » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:57 am

Hector pretty much nailed it on the head. The suggestion wasn't made to punish or challenge the regular posters. Honestly I thought about splitting it out long before we even announced the site, it was just one of those things we didn't get around to discussing until recently. When we saw a couple suggestions for it, it seemed like the ideal time to do it.

I guess I've said it enough times, but there will be a few things that change :)
Even a ghost needs to breathe.

User avatar
Zeblamar
Wayfarer
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:55 am
Location: MN
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Zeblamar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:05 am

Debate Corner
The Conference Room
Debaters Haven

Hector wrote:Certain topics have a tendency to inflame people. When new players arrive I would rather those topics not be the majority of the posts on this board. I personally would rather they see posts about everyday topics that they feel welcome to post in. Where they are not intimidated to post or afraid that if they post that they are going to get attacked for having a different opinion than a more vocal member.

I believe that is the purpose.
I have to agree with that. I think I may have only made like 5 post my first year. Part of that from being a bit shy at times and the other part I think was because of some of the ways people were put down for having a different view from others.
I think that having a place that people can debate things in a civilized manner will be a good thing. I believe as long as every one puts a little thought into their post before they click submit this can work out very good.
Relentless as the sea, remorseless as death!
Ruby Knights-GM/founder Phoenix, WTFPWND, WeeC, Fervent, L33t, and a couple I sadly can't remember...

User avatar
Nato
Wayfarer
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Georgia

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Nato » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:58 am

I think this is a great idea. Maybe if people were given a specific place to debate, non-debate threads could frolic more freely.

User avatar
Kamael
Newbling
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Coruscant, Jedi District

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Kamael » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:56 am

Nato wrote:I think this is a great idea. Maybe if people were given a specific place to frolic more freely.
*Fixed... :mrgreen:
Bo & Sart RiP
Heaven will get along fine without me, Hell's afraid I'll take over.

User avatar
Nagash
Master
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Nagash » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 am

The Political Arena ;)
If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves and I wouldn't want them on my conscience - not when they ought to be on my face!

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by owly » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 am

i think you guys should re-name the place to 'Owly place', just my thoughts.....
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Portia
Wayfarer
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Portia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:32 am

The Boiler Room
Empress of The Hegemony
I haz a mind, just ask Nagash

User avatar
Sturm
Explorer
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Sturm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 am

The Girk Zone
;) :mrgreen:
“We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence",
"But we rather have those because we have acted rightly” Aristotle 384 B.C.-322 B.C
~ Fidei Defensor Vexillarius ~ Amo ut Invenirem ~

User avatar
Vox
Wayfarer
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 am
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Vox » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:13 am

pffft if you gonna name you call it Isi's Corner :laughs:
"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"

User avatar
Portia
Wayfarer
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Portia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:59 am

Ooo!

Butt-heads and Belly-achers
Empress of The Hegemony
I haz a mind, just ask Nagash

User avatar
Absinthe
Newbling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Absinthe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Seether's Palace
the sky is boiling,
and there is something wrong with Jane

User avatar
owly
Sage
Posts: 3084
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am
Location: stoned
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by owly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Battle Boards
i know what you said about my Momma

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Lady Maven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:22 am

I have a different question, but I could not find a place to ask in.

In that Introduction thread when someone posts they are back, are we allowed to post "Gag a fucking maggot"?
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

User avatar
Nether
Elessar
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 am
Location: Bottom of the barrel baby
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Nether » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:39 am

Lady Maven wrote:I have a different question, but I could not find a place to ask in.

In that Introduction thread when someone posts they are back, are we allowed to post "Gag a fucking maggot"?

Love you too.
Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f**k how crazy they are.

User avatar
Lady Maven
Teacher
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: Debates and Rants forum.

Post by Lady Maven » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:40 am

I have other forums to abuse you in <weg>
"By the nine arms of Vishnu, I swear I am not a Hindu!” - Apu


How did someone realize you could milk a cow? And what the hell did they think they were doing to the cow in the first place?!

Post Reply

Return to “Comments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest